Center Affiliation and Expertise: Population Health
Dr. Blount is a physician scientist studying air pollution health effects both in the US and globally. His current research focuses on the immunologic mechanisms through which air pollutants increase risk for tuberculosis (TB) and other pulmonary infections. He has substantial research, teaching, and clinical experience in East Africa and Southeast Asia. Prior to fellowship, he led an international health education program in Kenya, teaching Kenyan and American students, residents, and fellows as well as caring for HIV and TB patients. Over the past 4 years, Dr. Blount has been collaborating with the Vietnam National Tuberculosis Program and is currently developing air pollution monitoring and immunology lab infrastructure for a K23 project to elucidate the immunologic and clinical effects of air pollution on childhood tuberculosis.
- Blount RJ, Pascopella L, Catanzaro DG, Barry P, English PB, Segal MR, Flood J, Meltzer D, Jones B, Balmes J, Nahid P. Traffic-Related Air Pollution and All-Cause Mortality during Tuberculosis Treatment in California. Environmental health perspectives 2017;125:097026.
- Blount RJ, Daly KR, Fong S, Chang E, Grieco K, Greene M, Stone S, Balmes J, Miller RF, Walzer PD, Huang L. Effects of clinical and environmental factors on bronchoalveolar antibody responses to Pneumocystis jirovecii: a prospective cohort study of HIV+ patients. PLoS One 2017; 12(7):e0180212.
- Blount RJ, Tran MC, Everett CK, Cattamanchi A, Metcalfe JZ, Connor D, Miller CR, Grinsdale J, Higashi J, Nahid P. Tuberculosis progression rates in U.S. Immigrants following screening with interferon-gamma release assays. BMC Public Health 2016; 16: 875.
- Blount RJ, Tran B, Jarlsberg LG, Phan H, Van TH, Nhung VN, Lewinsohn DA, Nahid P. Childhood tuberculosis in Northern Viet Nam: a review of 103 cases. PLoS One 2014;9(5):e97267. PMCID: PMC4018290.
- Blount RJ, Djawe K, Daly KR, Jarlsberg LG, Fong S, Balmes J, Miller RF, Walzer PD, Huang L, International HIV-associated Opportunistic Pneumonias Study. Ambient air pollution associated with suppressed serologic responses to Pneumocystis jirovecii in a prospective cohort of HIV-infected patients with Pneumocystis pneumonia. PLoS One 2013;8:e80795. PMCID: PMC3827464.
- Blount RJ, Jarlsberg LG, Daly KR, Worodria W, Davis JL, Cattamanchi A, Djawe K, Andama A, Koch J, Walzer PD, Huang L, International HIV-Associated Opportunistic Pneumonias (IHOP) Study. Serologic responses to recombinant Pneumocystis jirovecii major surface glycoprotein among Ugandan patients with respiratory symptoms. PLoS One 2012;7:e51545. PMCID: PMC3528778.
- Blount RJ, Davis JL, Huang L. Pneumocystis Pneumonia. In: Volberding PA, Greene WC, Lange J, Gallant J, Sewankambo N eds. Sande’s HIV/AIDS Management. Saunders Elsevier, 2013.
- Gibb E, Blount R, Lewis N, Nielson D, Church G, Jones K, Ly N. Management of plastic bronchitis with topical tissue-type plasminogen activator. Pediatrics 2012;130:e446-50.
- Blount R, Huang L. Clinical approach to HIV-associated pulmonary disease. Clin Pulm Med 2010;17(5):210-217.